Do It Yourself - By Room
This section has tips about your own period house restoration
and maintenance work for particular rooms including
the hall, stairs and landing, kitchen, bathroom and cellar or
The main DIY section has broad principles
and advice. The Elements section
covers features of the house that are not specific to a single
room. The Materials section explains
how to care for metal, stone, wood, paint etc.
A good sequence of work is:
- Repair the plaster and woodwork. Prime new wood before filling
flaws. Beware of lead in
- Remove old nails and paint from the floors. Sand wooden floors
- Wash the room including the floor.
- Paint the ceiling, walls and woodwork except for the floor.
If you are wallpapering, paint the woodwork and then hang the
wallpaper. If the room is to be painted rather than papered,
paint in this order: ceiling, frieze, picture rail, windows and
doors, walls, dado rail and dado and finally the skirting.
- Clean the floor once more and paint or varnish if any areas
will remain exposed.
The Victorian House ManualBuy now