[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - 1920s Window Frame Colours

1920s Window Frame Colours

Forum for discussing period houses.

1920s Window Frame Colours

Postby Carl1920 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 pm

My house was built in 1923 and I am currently re-painting the wooden window frames. Under several layers of whie paint I have found a pale blue colour and beneath that a deep maroon colour. Beneath the maroon is bare wood, which leads me to think that this would have been the original colour. I am, however unsure on this - did decorators not use undercoats in that era, or is it possible that the maroon is the undercoat? The inserts to the frame, which hold the glass seem to have always been white, so is it likely to have had a two-tone effect? Every other house on the street has just plain white, so I have no others to compare. Any advice would be welcome, thanks.
On another exterior decorating question, the textured coating which covers the first floor front has been painted white, but one neighbour has a natural grey colour, would this have been more common or were they sometimes painted in the 1920's? Is this stuff strictly called pebble-dash, as I can't see big pebbles!
Carl1920

Re: 1920s Window Frame Colours

Postby Simon TL » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi. We really need to get some content for 1920s and 1930s as the interest is cranking up!

My feeling is that yes, two-tone paint was common - not in the Edwardian period, but after. The easiest way to apply this to apply the main colour first - red, blue, brown, etc, and then the accent colour - white, or cream or yellow. So the dark would appear to be underneath but primer and undercoat first on bare wood. Beware of lead in thease paints. The Calloway book has some pictures and if you can find a DIY or painters guide you will get some examples.
Simon TL

Re: 1920s Window Frame Colours

Postby Carl1920 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your advice, it's reassuring to know that the maroon / cream colour scheme is probably the original 1920's one, I'll give it a go. The hard part will be persuading my wife to adopt the maroon colour - apparently it's not as fashionable these days! I am interested to hear that there are examples in the book you mentioned, I'll have to try and get hold of a copy. Many thanks, Carl
Carl1920

Return to Bricks and Brass