[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Help with dating house

Help with dating house

Forum for discussing period houses.

Help with dating house

Postby Shieldmaiden » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Hello,

first of all - what a fantastic website! I'd been searching the web for days to find answers and eventually came across this site and got more than in the past few days put together... thank you for that :)

We bought a house in april of this year and at the time were told it is 'late victorian'/turn of the century. The houses are called 'the kennels' and were built for the near by manor house - there are numbers 1 - 9, from which 4, 5 and 6 were in fact originally dog-kennels, the other houses were built for the dog-keepers (my neighbour actually converted them so they definitely were kennels...)

After doing some digging i found a map from 1887 and it seems to me the houses are already on there - all 9 buildings are there in the same layout. On census records i can find the address in use as far back as 1841, although of course these could have been other kennels in the village belonging to the manor house...

Anyway, as for the building - here are some pictures. Sadly the sash windows at the front had been replaced before we moved in - one of the houses still has the originals - they have 6 small windows at the top and 6 at the bottom. the ones at the back on the ground floor are still the originals, first floor on one picture (before the extension was built) are also original - the slide open sideways. The entrance doors can be seen on one of the pictures - there is a sort of 'entrance hallway' with an entrance door on either side.

I think the roof is a 'minor' pitch since it is not actually high enough to convert the loft.

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ceecd2/House/

Any ideas how old the house might be? Any help would be very much appreciated :D
Shieldmaiden

Re: Help with dating house

Postby Shieldmaiden » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:45 pm

anyone? :)
Shieldmaiden

Postby Simon TL » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi...

This kind of house is very hard to date visually as it is so plain. The instant visual date would be 1920s but the other information you have would suggest early Victorian - before the Gothic ideas brought in more steeply pitched roofs.

If the pointing is lime - rather than cement - then that would support a date of 1830s-1840s. And the window proportions suggest that date rather than 1920s too.

Are there any fireplaces? That may give clues. And are there any picture and dado rails?

It would be worth looking for voter and census records - start later and work back matching from list to list.

I hope that helps.
Simon TL

Postby Shieldmaiden » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:01 pm

thank you simon :D

i've found census records for 1841, the issue is that they do state 'the kennels' but i cannot be certain it's the same buildings since they were indeed kennels, and dog handlers lived here - that could have been perhaps old kennels before these were built. No dado or picture rails, and the fire places are not the original - next doors do have one as it was apparently, and it's just simply brick. There is (or used to be) a fireplace in every room, although both ours and theirs have a wood burning stove, but they were i believe fitted later.

i know the buildings were definitely here in 1887 since they are on a map for that time - so it's 1830 - 1840 then do you think? it would match with the main manor house, they demolished the village in 1826 to make space for a lake (amazing really) - and rebuilt it elsewhere. that would then match pretty well i'd say...
Shieldmaiden

Postby London » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:22 pm

It doesn't look in a good shape, does it ?
London

Return to Bricks and Brass