[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Hello and, oh crumbs.

Hello and, oh crumbs.

Forum for discussing period houses.

Hello and, oh crumbs.

Postby Simon73 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 pm

First of all, Hello,
Second, i'm glad I found this place as I'm sure it will prove invaluable in the coming months/years.

Why am I here? Well, for some bizarre reason my first foray into the housing market resulted in me purchasing (stc) a late 17thC, grade II listed thatched cottage.

I now find myself in a complex state of euphoria at finally being able to a) actually buy a house and b) buying a thatched cottage intermixed with bouts of "What have I done?" confusion and despair.

I was okay until a friend said "When was it last thatched?" another said, "Is it listed? If yes, run!" another, "Ooh, the insurance is going to be steep on that matey".
The comments continued along those lines.

I have yet to have a survey undertaken as we're still literally at the solicitor stage so with that being said my main question would be.....

Should I go for the most comprehensive structural survey known to man and are there listed/period property specific surveyors out there?

Secondary questions would run along the lines of...
Will the surveyor be able to assess the thatch condition?
Should my solicitor ask the vendor for any planning permission consent documentation for any alterations or is that down to me personally. Is that something the surveyor can enquire about?

I am a total 'newbie' (in the parlance of our times) to the house buying process in general but equally as ignorant to the purchase of a listed building so please forgive the barrage of dumb questions.

Your help or advice in these matters is greatly appreciated
Cheers
Simon
Simon73

Re: Hello and, oh crumbs.

Postby Simon73 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I guess you all must be busy renovating.
Simon73

Postby Simon TL » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Simon

I think it would be worth contacting the Listed Property Owners Club at http://lpoc.co.uk/

They will be in a good position to guide you - our members are less focussed than you need!

But do let us know how you get on!
Simon TL

Postby Simon73 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Simon TL wrote:Simon

I think it would be worth contacting the Listed Property Owners Club at http://lpoc.co.uk/

They will be in a good position to guide you - our members are less focussed than you need!

But do let us know how you get on!

Many thanks Simon. I'm going to need all the help I can get ;)
Simon73

Return to Bricks and Brass