[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Installing a Slate Fire Surround

Installing a Slate Fire Surround

Forum for discussing period houses.

Installing a Slate Fire Surround

Postby thefuz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi,

I have bgan to fit a cast iron open fire in my house, i have opened it up, bricked up behind the fireback, flaunched it and created a good throating, laid the hearth and am ready to backfill and fit the surround. I have a slate surround that comes in 4 pieces. Can someone give me some direction as to how i am meant to fix these pieces together and fix the surround to the wall.

It as no lugs to screw through and i am at a bit of a loss with it, any help would be very much appreciated,

cheers
thefuz

Re: Installing a Slate Fire Surround

Postby tim smedley » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:04 pm

tim smedley

Postby thefuz » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:45 pm

How clever are tim, I was looking for some practical advice from someone with experience, the whole point of a forum like this is to share ideas, experience and thoughts, something you obviously lack but have plenty of time to waste in responding in such a cretinous manner. You clearly have never done anything like this as you would realise that this isnt 'off the shelf' and so following 1 set of instructions is not exactly going to work.

Why waste your time posting that, typical 'Londoner' perhaps you should see the doc as you clearly have something stuck up your rear. 1 post of a pathetic nature explains why this forum is so poor.
thefuz

Postby tim smedley » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Dear The Fuz

My apologies if I have offended as my intention was to help.

As you can see I am a regular contributer to the site and try to draw on my successes and failures but perhaps my brevity did more harm than good time? I made the Google reference as I did not what you to think I had tried myself.

Hopefully someone else will come to your aid. Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Tim
tim smedley

Postby Simon TL » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:14 pm

I am sorry if Tim's attempt to help has provoked this reaction. Yes, this forum is quiet but it is a difficult circle - the more people who ask questions, the more people will chip in, and then more people will post. Reacting in that way won't help us to change the situation. Tim is a stalwart and we are grateful for his support.

Anyway... What are the four pieces? two sides, mantel and a piece beneath - called the frieze or lintel? The normal practice is to fix steel-wire ties or hooks to the back of the slate with an epoxy adhesive. And then set these into the plaster - chop out slots and then fill, sealing the ties as you go. Mortar the wall with plaster to fix the four pieces.

Does that make sense?
Simon TL

Postby tim smedley » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi

How did you get on?

Regards

Tim
tim smedley

Return to Bricks and Brass