Buildings Insurance

Forum for discussing period houses.

Buildings Insurance

Postby Jemima » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi there, i'm new to this forum but very glad to have found it! I'm shortly due to exchange on a 15th century, end of terrace cottage in Surrey. The structural survey made for rather depressing reading, but once i looked into and got some contractors out to look at some of the areas the surveyor mentioned, i'm feeling a little better about things! I'm sure this will be one of MANY questions to come (as nor myself, nor anyone in my family has ever owned such an old property) but I have a rather pressing question first.

Which are the best companies to look to for buildings and contents insurance? I've already had one company decline me on the basis its construction is 100-300mm period timber frame/brick, part cavity brick. Has anyone else come up against this? I asked my current vendors who they use, and they say Axa, but on doing a quote with them, it assumes the building is of 'standard construction' i.e. brick (it doesn't mention timber) so i'm guessing that although they have insurance, it could very well be null and void?

I want to make sure i have some decent insurance in place...i'm not too fussed about contents...its more the house i want to ensure of insured properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction of maybe a specialised insurer, or even a mainstream insurer that is happy with timber framed, grade 2 listed, period houses??? Many thanks in advance. Jemima :D
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Re: Buildings Insurance

Postby tim smedley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi Jemima. This is not an issue I have direct experience as my property is a baby when compared to yours! That being said the principles apply whatever the insurance when getting specialised, you need to go to a broker and tell them everything and make it their job to get you quotes(s). If I had to choose a broker then I would pick one recommended by someone I can trust and in this case, unless someone advises otherwise, I would start with The Listed Property Ownbers Club who seem to be well regarded by many individuals and organisations. Their website recommends Lark Insurance Broking Group
If you are based in the Southern half of the country their February show is well worth a visit.
Hope this helps. Tim
tim smedley
Full Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:21 pm
Location: Friern Barnet, London

Return to Bricks and Brass

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests