[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Traditional Tiled Floor Polish.

Traditional Tiled Floor Polish.

Forum for discussing period houses.

Traditional Tiled Floor Polish.

Postby Haydn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:17 am

I've recently had my hallway tiled with black and terracotta tiles ( these are non-porous, porcelain tiles) in a traditional diamond chequerboard pattern to mirror the original ones I have in my forecourt path outside. I would like to apply a traditional polish to these (the internal new ones)to intensify the colour, darken the grout and result in a mellow sheen. I remeber seeing a traditional homemade polish being applied to an encaustic tiled floor on the TV show "HomeFront" many years ago. I believe the polish included beeswax and maybe other constituents including Linseed oil but I cant remember exactly, or the proportions of each ingredient used. Any ideas? Also how should the floor be maintained afterwards.Should the polish be removed after sometime before another layer is applied and how would this be done.Many thanks for any responses.
Haydn

Re: Traditional Tiled Floor Polish.

Postby tim smedley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi,
I cleaned my originals using paint stripper amongst other things so ended up with "bare" tiles like yours. I used Marble wax polish which you can get in Robert Dyas and John Lewis. This is the same method my mother has used for 40 years on her tiles and they look stunning - mine are steadily catching up as the wax slowly builds up! There are several polishers on ebay today.

I wash the foor with a weak solution of flash just to get it clean and then rub the wax on thinly with a cloth then use a Hoover floor polisher which I bought off ebay for £25 to firstly scrub and then buff. Doing the hall floor takes about 20 minutes and it looks stunning with the sunlight on it.

There are lots of modern liquid products but I am told that they need to be removed regularly which is hard work!

Hope this helps.

Tim
tim smedley

Re: Traditional Tiled Floor Polish.

Postby Haydn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks for that Tim.I have a pretty small, narrow hallway so not sure if it's worth my while getting a polisher.......will just have to do it by hand!........ but I'm off to John Lewis today to get some wax.
Haydn

Return to Bricks and Brass