[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Discoloration on stair treads / risers

Discoloration on stair treads / risers

Forum for discussing period houses.

Discoloration on stair treads / risers

Postby Haydn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm in the process of having my stairs and landing floor sanded and sealed. However after much sanding there is a central darker discolouration of the wood on both the stair treads and risers which seems to match where I imagine there was once a runner. This darker discolouration is also evident along the centre of the landing and again seems to be where there was once a runner. It just won't budge so I'm really dissapointed as the finished result will not appear as I Imagined. I don't want to stain the boards as the landing opens onto other rooms that I've previously given the same treatment to and therefore won't match. Surely this cannot be due to differences to light exposure as the area benneath the runner would be lighter and not darker. Any ideas as to cause of this and how I can get rid of it or lessen the effect?
Haydn

Re: Discoloration on stair treads / risers

Postby tim smedley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi
Its one of those things that until you have seen it it is difficult to advise. I suspect that the backing on one of the carpets used at some point was oil based and this has leaked out & been absorbed by the wood. I know that lino which is made from linseed oil can do this.
On a practical note, unless you can get out the stain you sound like you are stuffed. I would suggest trying various different cleaning products in small discreet areas. If it was oil based soap & water would be a good start. Alternatively try something more savage like nitromorse but only for a few seconds initially. Be careful you dont end up with a patchwork though if you are thinking about varnishing it.
Another good source of help is the neighbours - did anyone else have this problem or notice when they changed the carpets. They might remember what was down beforehand which would help steer you.
Good luck.
Tim
tim smedley

Postby tim smedley » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi.
On How Clean is Your Home today they were cleaning stained floorboards!
They poured biological washing powder (has to be powder) onto the wood and hand warm (not hot) water and then scrubbed along the grain with a floor brush. She then wiped the dirt off with a cloth and did it again. This worked stunningly well and I would try this first!
Let us know how you get on as others may wish to try in the future.
Tim
tim smedley

Postby Haydn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Tim but nothing has worked. I think you're probably right about it being due to Linoleum being laid at some stage. When I wet the wood the difference in wood tone is even more pronounced which gives me some idea of what it'll look like when it is sealed..........awful! I think when the project is finnished I'll have to reinstate a runner to hide it.
Haydn

Postby tim smedley » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 pm

As the chap on site, if you think it might be lino, then lets run with that.
I googled removing linseed oil and a sailing website said "Turpenbtine is a natural solvent for linseed oil, & also acts as a drier for linseed oil because of the way they combine. I would try rubbing a small area with a turpentine-alternately soaked rag -- preferably, I would choose one of the worst areas in an out-of-the-way place. "
Alternatively, contact Forbo-Nairn Ltd who make lino still and ask their technical support team. Phone: +44 1592 64 37 77
Fax: +44 1592 64 39 99 Email: info.uk@forbo.com Internet: www.forbo-flooring.co.uk
To be honest, I would make the phone call before putting much more on the surface as you could just be making it harder.
Regards
Tim
tim smedley

Return to Bricks and Brass