Name the bit....

Forum for discussing period houses.

Name the bit....

Postby esilvester » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:54 pm


I have moved in to this Victorian house (pictured) and there are many jobs that need doing! I have to replace the wood and plaster that sits in between the upstairs and down stairs bay. I am trying to get the windows replaced to something more suitable than 1980's UVPC but this section is quite poor too and needs replacing at the same time.

Trouble is I have no idea what its called, does anyone know what I should be referring to it as?

New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: Name the bit....

Postby Simon TL » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 pm


The archetypal Tudor-style wood and render treatment of gables and walls. This feature became common after 1900. Also called 'black and white work'.

Simon TL
Full Member
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 10:58 pm

Return to Bricks and Brass

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests