[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Damp on interior wall

Damp on interior wall

Forum for discussing period houses.

Damp on interior wall

Postby windsurfer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:35 pm

I have an old house ( 1886 ) with brick cavity walls and have damp on a small bit of the interior wall. It has a slate damp course, which seems a bit strange as it is a single piece of slate that bridges the cavity. IE goes from the outsde wall and ends on the plaster side of the inside wall. Last year I cleared out all the old mess from the cavity and added some air bricks. Should I break the slate so it leaves a gap in the cavity as I suspect water is getting across the slate ?
windsurfer

Postby tim smedley » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:16 am

Hi

The concept of the slate is that it is an impermeable layer that stops water being wicked from the ground up through the wall. I can think of no reason why the slate would be meant to bridge the gap, unless it was meant to be some form of tie linking the two skins together. I am intrigued to know how you are aware the slate is bridging the gap - how are you able to tell?

My main thought is how old is the issue? If the damp has not been there for 120+ years it is unlikely to be the slate bridging it causing the issue ? more likely something else has changed. Damp can travel a long way before it surfaces ? are you sure it is not getting in/through elsewhere?

Regards

Tim
tim smedley

Damp problems

Postby windsurfer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I found out that the Slate was all one piece when I removed some bricks above the damp course to clear out the cavity. The debris was a good 6-9 inches deep!. There has been damp on that wall for some time as I recall my Father lining it and when we moved in I found the old lining paper and removed it as the wall appeared dry ( in the summer ). I just thought that if any moisture was getting in, with the slate bridge it could run across and reach the inside wall.

Richard
windsurfer

Postby tim smedley » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Richard

They did use stone to link the two wall skins together so that they did not bulge/collapse so it is possible slate was used. I am wary of saying break it as then you may weaken the wall.

It sounds a bit naff, but how about putting a bead of silicon across the slate to stop the water flowing across it (I would not have thought it would conduct the water)?

More drasticly you could cut out the slate & replace with a modern tie - not sure how big a hole you would need to make though!

Tim
tim smedley

Postby windsurfer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:31 am

Tim,

Good idea, I will have to investigate the cause from the inside I think, take up floor boards etc. I did add double airbricks to the outside last year, on advice from a builder, just wondering if I have cured one problem by removing the rubbish in the cavity and have now allowed water to get in via the new airbricks. Although the damp is only on a small section of the wall.

Interesting but I will not let it beat me!

Richard
windsurfer

Return to Bricks and Brass