Cleaning Bath Stone

Forum for discussing period houses.

Cleaning Bath Stone

Postby olveston » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:35 pm

I am in the process of removing masonry paint from Bath Stone. Having tried several test patches, I have decided to use a chemical poultice. This has proved to be effective but expensive.

I am now left with a reasonable surface which will need minor repair but the surface still needs a good clean. Can anyone recommend a suitable cleaner or do I have to use a French Drag to cut through the top layer ? All help and advice gratefully appreciated. Best wishes - Nick
olveston

French drag?

Postby Simon TL » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Nick

That sounds a bit drastic - no return once you have done that.

After using the poultice, what did you do? Did you wash it off with a powerwasher and warm water?

Simon
Simon TL

Postby olveston » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi Simon - thanks for the reply. After applying the poultice - (cheaper to use gold leaf! ) the poultice is washed off with cold water and some gentle brushing if needed. The surface is clean of paint but has an uneven colour. As I now spend a lot of my life looking at houses with stone work, they appear to have a more even colour.

Someone recommended using a bleach type stone cleaner - or sanding the surface . Either of those make sense ? Best wishes - Nick
olveston

Next try...

Postby Simon TL » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:58 pm

...hot water, perhaps with some detergent.

When I had paint removed the stripper was washed off with hot water, via a powerwasher - not set too sharp otherwise you will cut the stone.

I really think you should avoid any abrasive method!
Simon TL

Return to Bricks and Brass