[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Cleaning Bath Stone

Cleaning Bath Stone

Forum for discussing period houses.

Cleaning Bath Stone

Postby olveston » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 pm

I am in the process of removing masonry paint from Bath Stone. Having tried several test patches, I have decided to use a chemical poultice. This has proved to be effective but expensive.

I am now left with a reasonable surface which will need minor repair but the surface still needs a good clean. Can anyone recommend a suitable cleaner or do I have to use a French Drag to cut through the top layer ? All help and advice gratefully appreciated. Best wishes - Nick
olveston

French drag?

Postby Simon TL » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:37 pm

Nick

That sounds a bit drastic - no return once you have done that.

After using the poultice, what did you do? Did you wash it off with a powerwasher and warm water?

Simon
Simon TL

Postby olveston » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Simon - thanks for the reply. After applying the poultice - (cheaper to use gold leaf! ) the poultice is washed off with cold water and some gentle brushing if needed. The surface is clean of paint but has an uneven colour. As I now spend a lot of my life looking at houses with stone work, they appear to have a more even colour.

Someone recommended using a bleach type stone cleaner - or sanding the surface . Either of those make sense ? Best wishes - Nick
olveston

Next try...

Postby Simon TL » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:58 pm

...hot water, perhaps with some detergent.

When I had paint removed the stripper was washed off with hot water, via a powerwasher - not set too sharp otherwise you will cut the stone.

I really think you should avoid any abrasive method!
Simon TL

Return to Bricks and Brass