[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Draughty floorboards.

Draughty floorboards.

Forum for discussing period houses.

Draughty floorboards.

Postby Haydn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:43 pm

I am considering having the Victorian floorboards sanded and sealed in my hallway and lounge. I have been told that this will result in very uncomfortable draughts due to the sub-floor ventilation grills. Can anyone suggest a tried and tested way of overcoming this. I've read that a mixture of sawdust and PVA glue can be used to plug the gaps however this will fall through eventually in heavy use areas.
Haydn

Floorboard gaps

Postby Simon TL » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Haydn

Larger gaps are best filled with a tapered strip of wood - driven into the gap and then planed off.

I suspect that no approaches are 'maintenance free' but then nor is a carpet.

We did not notice particularly bad draughts this winter and nor were the floors cold.
Simon TL

Gapseal

Postby jkgray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Here is one suitable product - I have recently ordered a sample but have not installed yet so can;t really give an opinion on whether it is any good:

http://www.gapseal.co.uk/
jkgray

Postby tim smedley » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:40 pm

The issue with any filler solution is that over time the filler simply falls out.

If you have access to the floorboards from underneath, you could first tack/nail/staple hardboard strips to the underside of floorboard. This would mean whichever option you go for is likely to have a far longer life span - if not indefinite. Sounds a great idea for downstairs, but all hinges on the gap between the floorboards & the ground - not an option in my case!

The Gapseal soultion is a clever one, but i suspect it may not look as good as a filled floor. I would be interested to see how it fairs once it has been tried out.

Please do let us know how you get on - this is an old chestnut no one has resolved yet!
tim smedley

Return to Bricks and Brass