[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Velvety pine

Velvety pine

Forum for discussing period houses.

Velvety pine

Postby Saam » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:42 pm

We have an internal Victorian panelled door with two stained glass panels.
At some stage this door was stripped of its paint so is now just 'bare'. I would now like to paint it but an area of its surface is what I can only describe as velvety. Almost soft to the touch and not as smooth as pine normally is.
Does anyone know what this is and would it disappear with sanding?
Saam

Postby tim smedley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Saam
Pine is a natural product and there are bound to be bits of different standard wood in any house.
Originally your door would have been painted and I suspect if it had looked bad when done the painter would have done something about it at the time, not left it there for 100 years.
The only way to know for sure is to paint it! The important thing is to paint it properly - knotting compound on the knots, primer, undercoat X2 and then gloss. If you cut corners, it may not look its' best.
Good luck.
Tim
tim smedley

Postby Saam » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks for that Tim. Useful advice.
I have also been told the velvety area is the result of the door being cleaned off with water, after stripping. White spirit should have been used.
Seems though this 'velvet' will come off when using ultra fine sandpaper or wire wool.
Saam

Postby James » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Yes. Sandpaper, and then clean with white spirit should do the trick. Use filler on any uneven parts/holes in order to get the door dead flat (unless you are aiming for the distressed look).

Good on you for painting bare wood - never intended to be stripped!
James

Postby Saam » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:15 am

Thanks James.
Had already carefully sanded it. Worked. What's your reason for cleaning with white spirit?

On a related issue: some months ago I bought a stripped pine panelled cupboard door, but a few weeks ago damp patches started to appear and it seems to get worse as time goes by.
These are probably the result of the way the door was dipped.
Do you know if there is a remedy?
Saam

Postby James » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Damp patches? Or oil seeping out of knots. If the latter, then use knotting compound, which seals the oil in the knot.

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/diy/painting/ ... tting.html

You use white spirit because it washes away the dust (which would otherwise cause your paintwork to become rough). If you use water, it raises the grain and puts you back in your original position... obviously!
James

Postby Saam » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Damp patches. They even feel wet/damp (obviously...?)
Cheers
Saam

Re: Velvety pine

Postby Saam » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:18 pm

dorothyweiner wrote:refine it with sanding paper and use molding for woods, then paint if you can, mostly the type of doors usually leaves the same issue as times goes by. Or replace with old similar vintage door instead, try at http://caldwells.com/ if they still have those old Victorian door products.

Great. After six years I get a reply with a blatant advertisement for a door company based in... the US of A...
:!: :mrgreen:
Saam

Return to Bricks and Brass