Skirtings & Architraves

Forum for discussing period houses.

Skirtings & Architraves

Postby Spoog » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:04 pm

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of "off the shelf" authentic Victorian/ Edwardian torus & ogee pattern skirtings, preferably in wood and preferably reasonably priced?! Architraves would be useful too!

Any thoughts on MDF versions? SAM Mouldings seem to produce a lot of different patterns, in grained effect aswell as standard. I've been told that modern wooden versions are prone to warping, which MDF does not do, but the thought of introducing the stuff into a 100 year old house doesn't exactly fill me with joy!!!
Spoog

Postby Lydia » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:50 pm

there's a local timbermerchants here that does a huge range of skirtings and architraves that aren't just your standard B7Q jobbies - I was amazed to find ex-7" Ovolo skirtings!

http://www.wenbans.com/

Not sure if they deliver...
Lydia

Postby tim smedley » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:40 pm

I had the same problem when wanting to match the architrave around a doorway I am re-opening and could find nothing the same as the adjacent doorways.

All the timber merchants will order in anything you want that they don't stock and can arrange to have it made to your design at a reasonable price.

You need to be very specific about what you want. Measure it carefully & better still buy a profile guage from B&Q which you press against the shape you want to match and then transfer to a sheet of paper. They will send it away and the manufacturer will send backa profile on paper for you to confirm is what you meant, only then will it be made.

I purchased made to measure architrave about 40 feet long and 6" wide for ?250 inc VAT & delivery 5 days later! It matched the other doorways perfectly.
tim smedley

Postby Lydia » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:42 am

cor, Tim, that sounds a tad steep... although if it was made-to-measure, then, I suppose it's warranted.

I think my ex-7" skirtings came to about ?75 for 25m... enough to do the living and dining room in any case. They were/are a perfect match, but I would have prefered not to have to replace the originals, but my great, great-uncle saw fit to cover the [wooden] skirtings with wood effect paper in the 60's.... and then give them a few coats of varnish. By the time we had steamed and Nitromorsed our way through, there was nothing much left!

When I quizzed the merchant's I've linked, they said that they have just kept all their old dies, so they don't have a problem matching the old profiles.
Lydia

Skirtings & Architraves

Postby Spoog » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Tim, Lydia, thanks for your responses. Lydia, unfortunately your people can't deliver to the backwaters of the East Midlands -shame! Tim, regret I dare not suggest to my beloved spending such a hefty amount, as we've already soared over budget in our year of renovations!!!

Does anyone else know of a traditional manufacturer, preferably in Nottingham/ Leicester/Northampton/Derby/Lincoln/York/...shire?
Spoog

Postby Lydia » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:39 pm

have a look on yell.com for timber merchants and give your local chaps a call... they'll soon be able to say yay or nay. Just be specific on the size and the profile you want.

This is a completely random site that shows you quite a few of the popular profiles:

http://www.thorogood.co.uk/products.php ... =mouldings
Lydia

Postby tim smedley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:00 pm

I think you will find the price is affected by the complexity of the moulding & the number of cuts. Mine had a pencil finish down one edge with an undercut. It was a rare design to start with and one makes it any more so a jig had to be made up especially - hence the price, despite quotes from 4 manufacturers.

The other problem was the location - in the entrance hall where the sunlight catches it, so if it didn?t match it was the one place you are guaranteed to see it. I now defy anyone to know which is old & which is new - which was the point.

Hmm, was I menat to tell the boss how much it cost? I think I lost the number in the total! Good luck. Tim
tim smedley

Return to Bricks and Brass