Matching broken glass panels in 1930's front door

Forum for discussing period houses.

Matching broken glass panels in 1930's front door

Postby anth » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi

A while ago we had an attempted break in and the "fools" tried to get through the front door by breaking 2 of the leaded stained glass panels.
The broken panels are not stained (thank god) and are of a "hammered" style obscure plain glass.

We have today visited a local glass company who have informed us that the glass we are looking for was last manufactured 30 years ago and is called "Bullseye" glass. It is obscure and has a "hammered" effect.

Does anyone know where the best place would be to obtain some replacement matching glass and also some instructions on how we could fit the glass ourselves as the glass company also informed us that fitting the glass into this style of lead frame would be difficult and that they would not do it.

It is a 1935 bow fronted sytle house which we are currently renovating (and also enjoying living in).

Regards

Anthony
anth

Fixing door

Postby Simon TL » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:05 am

Anthony

Welcome to Bricks & Brass.

Were are you - geographically? Most places have Stained Glass suppliers - try Yellow Pages. This sort of glass is available although colour matching may be tricky.

The hardest part will be repairing the window. Do you still have the broken pieces? It may be easier to glue them back into place. Otherwise, the worry is that any work with the window in situ will simply cause more damage. The window needs to be supported from behind - the cames (the lead bit) need opening up so that the glass can be fitted, and then hammered down again.
Simon TL

Postby anth » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:55 am

Hi Simon

Thank you for your response.

We are in Cheshire.

The glass we need is not (fortunately) stained and it is just plain obscure glass. The problem is going to be matching the pattern (the hammered effect) of the glass. We need 2 3"x3" panels as these were both broken. We have most of the pieces but I feel that sticking them together again would not look right.

I have been told that working on this kind of window is tricky but I have known it being done before, alas by the same company I mentioned which no longer do it.

Anthony
anth

Postby aggiego » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:56 pm

My sympathies.

Have you tried ebay? bits and pieces of old windows are regularly offered.

Good luck
aggiego

Postby Lydia » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Do have a look into stained glass people... they often have lots of bits and bobs lying around and also have the skills to work with "tricky" sizes/shapes.

My parents got some stained glass people (in France, so not much help to you infortunately) to repair the leaded glass front to a dresser and they matched the clear panes very well.
Lydia

Return to Bricks and Brass