[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Replacement / Refurbishment of Sash Windows

Replacement / Refurbishment of Sash Windows

Forum for discussing period houses.

Replacement / Refurbishment of Sash Windows

Postby rods16 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:12 pm

Continuing from my post about Ventrolla methods I am still have second thoughts about what I want for my sash windows!

I suspect the majority on here would suggest sticking with the original windows and having them refurbished by someone like Ventrolla (or perhaps a cheaper local chippy).
However, that fact is that all but three of my thirteen sash windows are replacements anyway, probably from the 1970's when some building work was done.

My choice seems to be (bearing in mind that I want rid of the secondary glazing) to get the windows refurbished by a local carpenter, and have draft proofing applied at the same time (with questionable results) and have single glazed window.

Employ Ventrolla to refurbish the windows and draft proof them with a very good system. But I would be paying top notch price for doing up some windows from the 1970's and still have single glazing.

Get a local firm in to replace the sashes (boxes and sills are sound) and fit double glazed ones. The problem here is that all of the examples I have seen end up having big wide glazing bars that just do not look good in sash windows. But the fact is that for the price of a Vetrolla refurbishement I could replace a window (two sashes) with new and still have change left (will come in handy for paying the decorator that will be required).

Finally I have found this firm on the net, The Original Box Sash Company, http://www.boxsash.com/sashwindows.php (hope link works). They do replacement sashs by using a single double glazed pane and sticking the glazing bars on (I know, it sounds awful but stick with it for a moment!) The glazing bars are made to match those already in the original windows so still look in balance with the windows. I don't know if they work in my area yet as I havn't been in touch with them, but I am sure there will be firms locally that would do a similar thing.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on my choices, and if anyone had any experience of double glazed sashes etc.

Thanks

Rods
rods16

Experience

Postby Simon TL » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:24 am

The Original Box Sash Company and the Window Works are both in the 'premium' end - high quality wood, good fitters and not over-pushy salesforce. And inevitably higher prices. You are likely to be pleased with the result and if you expect to stay in the house for 10 years plus I am sure you will benefit from the investment. 'Stick on' glazing bars conjure up a misleading impression - it is only when you get up close and look at an angle that you see that the glazing is a single piece rather than separated at the bars.

Another alternative you don't mention (!) is refurbishing the existing windows, staying with single glazing, but adding secondary windows on the inside. The plus with this is that you will get better insulation as the air gap is much bigger. Sorry if that confuses you more!
Simon TL

Postby James » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:15 pm

>>sticking the glazing bars on (I know, it sounds awful

Not only does it sound awful, but it looks it too.
James

Postby OllyH » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:37 pm

I used a company called Alpha Sash for mine, they were very competetive, knocking ?4K off Ventrolla's quote. Also a couple of their guys used to work for Ventrolla and prefer Alpha Sash's system of draughtproofing. They also do reproduction windows.
OllyH

Postby rods16 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:13 pm

Thanks for the replies so far!

I have had Ventroola and although impressed with their system I am not convinced that spending a lot of money refurbing 1970s windows is the way forward!

I have had a very good and reputable local joinery firm price up for new windows and thought the price was steep but ok, then realised it was excluding VAT!!!

I have also got a rep from Mumford and Wood coming later this week to show me their windows (the guy will bring examples with him) just to get another quote from someone else for comparison. Anybodys experience of Mumfords would be greatly appreciated.
rods16

Re: Replacement / Refurbishment of Sash Windows

Postby bmbtimber » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:27 am

I have recently finished some sash window replacement with UPVC and I find it very good.
bmbtimber

Return to Bricks and Brass