[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - skirting board

skirting board

Forum for discussing period houses.

skirting board

Postby Dollypants » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:03 pm

I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A STONE FRONTED TERRACED HOUSE BUILT AROUND 1910 IN A TOWN WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY A MINING TOWN IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE AND ORIGINALLY A 2 UP 2 DOWN. IN RECENT YEARS IT HAS HAD AN EXTENSION BUILT ONTO THE BACK (LIKE SO MANY OF THESE TYPE OF HOUSES) WHICH ACCOMMODATES THE KITCHEN DOWNSTAIRS AND BATHROOM UPSTAIRS.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW DEEP THE SKIRTING BOARD WOULD/SHOULD BE? I AM UNSURE AS TO WHETHER SOME SKIRTING BOARDS IN SOME OF THE ROOMS ARE ORIGINAL OR HAVE BEEN CHANGED AT SOME STAGE. THESE SKIRTING BOARDS ARE AROUND 12.5CMS IN HEIGHT. SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT THE BIGGER THE HOUSE THE DEEPER THE SKIRTING BOARD. WOULD THIS BE TRUE??
Dollypants

Skirting

Postby admin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi

I've moved this to the right area...

Yes, this is true. And 'posh' rooms would have deeper and more ornate than more hidden rooms. Just as you get with, say, curtains or carpets today.

I would suspect yours will be smaller than in say, a detached house. However, some miners were wealthier so they might have afforded better. On the other hand, the house may well have been rented!

I suppose 12.5-15cm is likely to have been right, and the pattern was probably simple: a plain board with staff bead pinned on the top. Or maybe a Roman torus - see http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/terms/mould1.htm.

Looking at some photos we have from places like Beamish, it is possible that some rooms may have had *no* skirting at all.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Bricks and Brass