Exterior wall problems

Forum for discussing period houses.

Exterior wall problems

Postby Dave t » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Sometime in the distant past my exterior wall has been given a coat of Artex.
Behind this many of the bricks have spalled and the whole lot just comes off with a brush. Image
Under the Artex a part of the wall has what looks like a lime render (does this come off like shale?). Some of it is sound but many parts sound hollow and will probably just "knock off" Image
So should I just brush the loose off, give it a coat of stabilising solution and then Masonary paint (Sandtex)
Before it ends up like next doors 8O Image
Any help would be appreciated.
Dave t

What to do?

Postby Simon TL » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi Dave

I don't think what you suggest will do much harm. Although we are not fans of these paints, the wall's life hangs so precariously in the balance that this would be worth a try. If this does not work, and flakes off again, then it should not preclude the other.... Do avoid bonded coat paints which *would* be harder to remove.

The more ideal option is to remove all the loose paint and render, and chop out the damaged brickwork, and then insert slices of salvaged bricks - ie 'slips'. Repair all the pointing with lime mortar.

Some people would apply render but this is rather a one-way street - it looks yuck and removing it will destroy all the bricks.
Simon TL

Postby Dave t » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Thanks Simon :)
Dave t

Return to Bricks and Brass