[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Double Front Door

Double Front Door

Forum for discussing period houses.

Double Front Door

Postby 3magnet » Thu May 31, 2007 10:20 am

We are about to replace our aluminium door with a beautiful solid pine double door. This was a lucky find for us. Our house is unfortunately not a period house (1960's), but it has all the charm inside (pine floorboard, skirting etc.). It also has a beautiful wooden fire surround with a georgian cast iron inset & conservatory.
We wish to continue this 'theme' throughout the house, thus the reason for the front doors. I don't know if the Georgians had double doors, but the specifications say "6 panel georgian door"

So, my question is this:
1. Should I varnish or paint my door, if so, what colour?
2. Where on the door should I place my letter box, or is this my own choice.
3. What would be a good security option for this type of door?[/url]
3magnet

Doors

Postby Simon TL » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi

Pine has normally been painted. As to colours... http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/deselem ... rgeorg.htm has examples. At this period, the dyes were natural colours - less vibrant and a more limited range. In better decorators shops you will find off-the-shelf paints - including the Dulux and Crown heritage ranges, and then people like Farrow and Ball. Use the matching primer and undercoat for the best results.

As to letter plates (boxes)... the Georgians didn't have them; http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/deselem ... orfurn.htm - so you are adding a Victorian or later feature... The earliest ones were small - a maid was always around in the larger houses to open the door to collect the post.

Security is more of a modern problem. Make sure the door cannot be opened from the inside without keys - Fred Crook can then remove your TV etc via the front door which looks less suspicious than over the fence.

The normal practice is hinge bolts (inset into the hinge side of the door and the frame), and then one or two deadlocks - not Yale type. In your case, heavy sliding bolts at the top and bottom of the second door will probably be essential. These are one option: http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Prod ... L-075.aspx The only problem with these is that they are not key-operated so if someone has gained access elsewhere the deadlocks may not prevent them opening the two doors from the inside.

Hope this helps.
Simon TL

Double front door

Postby 3magnet » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:41 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep that in mind. I did not even know that you get hinge bolts.
So much for the letter plate idea. I will have a look at a secured letterbox that I can mount at the entrance gate or closer to the door. I don't thin I can afford a maid to collect my post :)

I did have a look at the dulux & crown heritage paints this weekend, but will also try the Farrow & Ball range. What was the accepted style of door furniture i.e. knobs/pull handle, numerals (inc font used)for the exterior door? I know this is asking alot, but I want to add as much authenticity as possible even though it is not a georgian house.

Kind regards,
3magnet

Georgian

Postby Simon TL » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Hello again.

Our collected wisdom is here: http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/deselem ... orfurn.htm

As to letter plates... the problem with houses is that they have never sat still! A Georgian house will have evolved so it acquires bits from later eras - it is very rare that one has been frozen in time. So go down a street of Georgian houses and they will all have letterplates. Why not have one - but perhaps a small one that takes most of your post, and have a standalone box nearby.
Simon TL

Re: Double Front Door

Postby CarolynBristol » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:16 am

What a great idea to replace aluminum with pine doors, I always have found aluminum to be about as ugly as cheap plastic window frames.

http://www.classicironworks.co.uk/ Creating the very best in wrought iron in Bristol
CarolynBristol

Return to Bricks and Brass