[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Bricks and Brass • View topic - Carpet on stairs

Carpet on stairs

Forum for discussing period houses.

Carpet on stairs

Postby James » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:25 pm

Advice please on proportions. I have taken up my hall & stair carpets. I shall be sanding and varnishing the hall boards, and shall put down a suitably tasteful persian carpet runner. I have stripped many layers of paint from the skirting boards, stairs, bannisters etc. The bannisters and newel posts are a nice piece of mahogany, so I shall varnish them. The balusters will of course be painted - some fool replaced the original square-section balusters with modern turned ones. (Intriguingly, the newel posts below the ground floor, and the ones above the first floor are deal; the ground and first floor ones, mahogany.

I want to put a runner up the middle of the stairs. There is 30 inches between the skirting board and the inside edge of the balusters. (There is another two inches to the toe(?) of the stair.) How wide should the carpet be? Wide enough not to look stingy, narrow enough to be able to paint the edges of the stairs.
James

Return to Bricks and Brass